Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Guinevere



Saying “I love you” is complicated
Because I also stand in awe of you,
Your wisdom, your intelligence,
Your lofty ideals,
Your singleness of purpose,
Your nobility.

I could sit at your feet for hours
Listening to your eagerness, your drive
In your quest for your Holy Grail.
I wish I could link our destinies forever,
Take my place at your side
And make your quest mine too.

You envision my doing so,
But I fear I’m Guinevere.
I’ll ruin everything you stand for,
Everything you are.

I love another in different way.
He’d be my Lancelot
He’d be my downfall
If we gave in to each other.

His nobility’s beyond question, too,
Part of what draws me to him.
But all notions of chivalry aside,
This may be stronger than both of us.

You may be a hero;
You may raise the world from a new Dark Age.
You may fall victim to a Morgan
Who will deceive you with black magic
And lay your Camelot to waste
And no Merlin could prevent it.

I won’t be part of that evil,
As much guilt as I bear.
Yet, in spite of myself,
Am I doomed to be part of a disaster
And spend the rest of my days in penance?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd read this one before. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Many thanks as always, Justin. I've gotten some great feedback and even been encouraged to read it publicly. I hope you'll pass it along to whoever might like it (and point out my book if you like, because I'm really excited about some of the changes).

      Delete